07 May 2006

Humming dinger of a day


Ruby-throated hummingbirds are back. I dashed this little sketch off as I was listening to one zoom back and forth in its arc flight. It’s a territorial/courtship display. Very fun to watch.

Also, while at the computer making the sketch, a man I see, maybe, once a year called me. On the telephone. He called me! And, I love this, he called to ask how high the new flycatcher nest box he got should be mounted! (10-15 feet). That’s it. We didn’t chat or make small talk. He asked, I answered, he thanked me. We hung up. He called back to ask if he could use straw in place of the inch or so of wood shavings I suggested he add to the bottom of the box. I encouraged the use of shavings to avoid the mold or mildew that straw might be prone to developing. He said “yep, OK,” thanked me again and we hung up. This was the highlight of my day. A sweet, pleasant, little gift of being able to give to someone who remembered me for who I am. Thanks. Really.

No comments: